Friday, April 15, 2016

Lessons Learned – Feedback from 2016 Applicants

Image result for failure

April 1st is the day when many U.S. colleges and universities release their admission decisions, bringing happiness to some students and disappointment to others. I interviewed the latter group of people to figure out what possible mistakes they may have made during the application process and find out their future plans. Here’s what I have learned from three students during our conversations:

Sergei: I applied to more than 20 U.S. colleges and universities, as I wanted to increase my chances at being admitted and receiving financial aid. At present, 18 schools have rejected me and 4 have put me on a waiting list. I restated my interest in gaining admission to all four of those colleges and sent them updated school grade reports and a list of the awards I received at regional Olympiads held in March. I still have not lost hope but I do feel a certain degree of frustration. I hate waiting! If I do not hear from them within the next week, I will submit applications to community colleges.

I think I should not have applied to so many schools as there was too much work for me to do in terms of filling out applications. I think back to December, feeling like it was a month of endless nightmares when I had to write about 45 different essays, answer hundreds of small but important questions, and juggle corresponding with so many different people all at once. It was impossible for me to submit my best work because of time constrains and the sheer number of applications I had to fill out. 

Inna: I submitted applications to 12 schools and have received rejection letters from most of them. I’m still waiting to hear back from one college. If I am not accepted this time I will take a gap year to prepare for all the entrance exams more effectively and I will reapply this fall. During a gap year I plan to find a part-time job in order to keep myself busy as well as to earn some money for college (to cover personal expenses, at the very least).

I think that my low test scores were my downfall. I got a 60 on TOEFL and 1100 on the SAT but I was bold enough to apply to schools that were not within my test score range. Why was I so overconfident? I am an “A” student. In addition, I have done numerous community service and extracurricular projects: volunteering at two organizations, performing in plays at my school, acting as a head of the school science club, leading debate meetings at a local library, etc. I really hoped that my high GPA (which is 5 out of 5 on the Russian scale), and information about all the activities I am involved in would compensate for my sub-par test scores and give me a chance at being accepted. Now I understand that I was wrong. Extra-curricular activities can be a big plus to a student profile but cannot help much if he/she scores well below the average on standardized tests.

Olga: I sent applications to 10 colleges and universities and was accepted to only two of them but I was not offered sufficient financial aid. One school gave me only one thousand dollars  and the other awarded me 30,000 dollars, which is still half of the amount I need to cover the cost of study. I am not able to come up with the other $30,000 dollars, so I will not be able to enroll this year. I plan to apply to Moscow State University and try my luck in 4 years when I apply to a Ph.D. program at US universities. I am interested in biology and chemistry, so I am sure I will have more chances at getting full funding from graduate schools by receiving a Teaching or Research Assistanceship.

I think I should have worked harder on my college list. I mostly looked at big name schools that are well known in Russia.  If I had started from the very beginning, I would have more seriously considered liberal arts schools, women’s colleges, and schools that are less famous here but still have great programs in my field. 

Another mistake I made was not being very attentive when filling out and submitting financial aid forms.  I missed the deadlines for two schools and my parents failed to attach the documents the schools had asked for.

Next time, we will hear from high school students sharing their success stories of enrolling at US schools and receiving financial aid. You can also find all the relevant information on new programs, scholarships, and upcoming events on our social media pages: Facebook, VkontakteYouTube,
Twitter.

Учимся на Чужих Ошибках

Первое апреля – день, когда в большинстве университетов США приемные комиссии сообщают абитуриентам о своем решении. Этот день приносит радость одним студентам и разочарование другим. Я побеседовала с последними, не только чтобы услышать их предположения о возможных ошибках, которые они допустили в течение процесса подачи документов, но и чтобы узнать об их планах на будущее. Вот что поведали мне три студента в течение нашей беседы:

Сергей: Я отправил документы более, чем в 20 американских колледжей и университетов, так как хотел увеличить свои шансы на поступление и получение финансовой поддержки. В настоящий момент 18 вузов сообщили мне об отказе и 4 поместили меня в лист ожидания. Чтобы подтвердить свою заинтересованность в этих четырех вузах, я отправил им обновленную информацию о своих оценках и наградах, которые получил на региональной Олимпиаде по математике в марте. Я все еще не теряю надежды, но чувствую разочарование из-за неопределенности и вынужденного ожидания. Ненавижу ждать! Если мне не ответят в течение этой недели, я буду отправлять свои заявления в комьюнити колледжи.

Думаю, мне не стоило подавать заявления в столь большое количество университетов, потому что пришлось проделать огромное количество работы при заполнении заявок. Декабрь стал для меня месяцем нескончаемого кошмара: надо было написать около 45 разных эссе, ответить на сотни небольших, но важных вопросов, вести переписку с большим количеством людей. Было невозможно поручиться за качество каждого из документов, которые я отправлял, из-за ограниченного времени и количества заданий, которые нужно было выполнить.

Инна: Я отправила заявления в 12 вузов и получила письма с отказом из большинства. Остался один колледж, от которого я все еще ожидаю ответа. Если не поступлю сейчас, я оставлю себе год на подготовку к экзаменам и осенью снова подам заявления. В течение года я хочу найти работу с частичной занятостью, и чтобы не сидеть без дела, и чтобы заработать для колледжа (хотя бы на личные расходы).

Думаю, причина столь плохого результата в моих низких баллах за тесты. Я получила 60 баллов за TOEFL и 1100 за SAT, и было довольно опрометчиво отправлять заявки в вузы, в которые я не проходила по минимальным требованиям. Почему же я переоценила свои силы? Я отличница. К тому же, у меня достаточно богатый опыт работы в социальной сфере: я волонтер для двух организаций, помогаю организовывать мероприятия в своей школе, являюсь главой школьного научного кружка, провожу дебаты в местной библиотеке. Я надеялась, что мой высокий средний балл (5 из 5) и информация об активной внеучебной деятельности поможет мне в поступлении. Сейчас я понимаю, что ошибалась. Активная жизнь вне школы может стать большим плюсом для заявления, но не может восполнить минимальные требования университета (например, минимальные баллы тестов).

Ольга: Я подала заявки в 10 колледжей и университетов и была принята только в два из них, но без достаточной финансовой поддержки. Один вуз предоставил мне лишь тысячу долларов, другой – 30000, что составляет лишь половину от полной суммы обучения. Я не смогу оплатить оставшиеся 30000, а значит, не смогу начать учебу в этом году. Я планирую поступать в Московский Государственный Университет и снова попытать удачи через 4 года – подать документы в американские университеты на программы PhD. Мне интересны биология и химия, поэтому я уверена, что у меня будет больше шансов получить финансирование от университетов как помощнику преподавателя.

В следующий раз я напишу об успешных школьниках, поступивших в вузы США. Узнайте о наших мероприятиях из социальных сетей: Facebook, VkontakteYouTube,
Twitter.


No comments:

Post a Comment